Deadline: 28 June 2018
The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program (MCFSP) is an initiative to educate and prepare young people – especially from Africa – to lead change and make a positive social impact in their communities. The Scholars Program at Ashesi will provide young Africans from economically disadvantaged communities who have demonstrated academic talent and leadership potential with access to quality and relevant education.
Scholars at Ashesi represent some of the best and brightest students from across the African continent, and will receive a holistic education that includes:
Comprehensive Scholarships; Students receive financial support for fees, books and supplies, transportation, accommodation, and stipends.
Life-long Skills; Scholars at Ashesi benefit from enrichment in skill areas relevant to success, such as critical thinking, communications, and entrepreneurship.
Transition Support; Scholars will receive support during their transition into Ashesi, and the workforce, with mentoring, career counselling, internships and other life skills coaching.
Give-Back Component; An integral component s the commitment to give back to their communities. Students will get to actively work on this through volunteer and community service opportunities.
Career Opportunities; Since Ashesi’s inception, some 90% of our graduates have stayed to work and contribute to growth and development in Africa; over 95% our graduates receive job offers within months of graduation.
A Global Alumni Network; Graduates of the Programme will be connected through a network that offers information, resources, and opportunities to learn from other scholars and Ashesi graduates around the world.
To be considered for the MCFSP, applicants must;
- Be citizens of a Sub-Saharan African country
- Have demonstrated academic excellence
- Come from an economically disadvantaged background – This Scholarship is designed for those extremely talented individuals who have no other means of acquiring the further education required to help realize their dreams and ambitions.
- Have demonstrated the will to give back to their community, country, or continent – the program is aimed at well-rounded students who are engaged in activities beyond the classroom. Some may be directly related to your field of study, but this may also include other issues (social, economic, political) that you are working on and passionate about.
- Be students who are engaged with and passionate about issues affecting their communities, and who will take advantage of their education to better equip themselves with the knowledge and training to address these issues upon return. The intention of this Program is to enable Scholars to return home, after forming valuable professional connections through internship and job placements.
The following undergraduate programmes are eligible for funding by the MCFSP at Ashesi;
- BSc Business Administration
- BSc Management Information Systems
- BSc Computer Science
- BSc Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- BSc Computer Engineering
- BSc Mechanical Engineering
Entry Requirements at Ashesi
Successful applicants demonstrate a commitment to growth and learning, tackle tough challenges in and out of the classroom and have a strong desire to contribute to Ashesi’s global community.
All international candidates applying to Ashesi University should meet the following minimum requirements to be considered for admission:
- Six IGCSE (G.C.E. O-Level) passes including Mathematics, English, and Science are required
- A’ Level: at least three passes (with grade A-D).
- International Baccalaureate (IB): Diploma
- A-Level: Three A-Level passes (A-D) including Mathematics and Physics
- IGCSE (G.C.E. O-Level): at least six passes including Mathematics, English, and Science are required for admission to Ashesi.
- International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma: For prospective engineering students, Mathematics SL with a 5 or better, or Mathematics HL with a 3 or better is acceptable to fulfil the entry mathematics requirement; similarly, Physics SL with a 5 or better, or Physics HL with a 3 or better is acceptable to fulfil the entry physics requirement. However, Mathematics HL and Physics HL are expected to be a competitive engineering applicant.
- All students that transfer into Ashesi must begin as first year students. Ashesi currently does not accept transfers into the 2nd, 3rd or 4th year of our academic program.
- In order to secure admission, transfer candidates must provide official transcripts from each college or university attended. It is your responsibility to ensure that Ashesi has received an official transcript from each institution attended in order to complete your application.
How to apply
Applicants have an option of either completing applications online or downloading the application form. Online applications are available at https://admissions.ashesi.edu.gh The university application form can be downloaded from http://ashesi.edu.gh/images/admissions/Ashesi_Application_Form_2018.pdf while the scholarship application form can be downloaded from http://ashesi.edu.gh/images/admissions/Ashesi_Scholarship_Application_Form2018.pdf
The Swaziland Young Leaders Fellowship Program. Deadline: 5 April 2018. Link; www.theknowledgeinstitute.org
The Standard Bank Africa Derek Cooper Scholarship. Deadline: Varies by Institution. Link; http://graduate.standardbank.com/standimg/Graduate/DerekCooperAfricaScholarship.html#tabs3
The Mandela Rhodes Foundation Masters Scholarships. Deadline: 15 April 2018. Link; www.mandelarhodes.org
The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at KNUST for undergraduate studies. Deadline: 11 May 2018. Link; https://www.knust.edu.gh/